Isaac Bey Mosque
This mosque was built in 1483 by Isaac Bey and it was originally called Aladza, which means colourful. The mosque got its name after the encrusted colourful ceramic tiles that ornament the facade and the drum of the mosque. In the past, the mosque had been an architectural complex comprising a caravanserai, imaret, religious school, and turbe. On the right side of the main entrances is the 30-metre-high minaret, which leans 99cm from the bottom. The fountain in the courtyard, of which only the stone glass middle part was used, was built in 1971.
The hexagonal turbe (a tomb usually found outside a mosque, but within its grounds) behind the mosque was built in the middle of the 15th century. The walls end in a wreath decorated with faience, and a six-pointed star made of dark and light blue tiles. In 1963 it was damaged, but a copy was made and today these tiles alongside the undamaged ones, decorate the sepulchre.
Jahja Pasha Mosque
Jahja Pasha Mosque was built in 1504 for Jahja Pasha, the son-in-law of Sultan Bayazit II. It is notable for its modern four-sided roof. Originally, the prayer area was roofed with one large and five small domes, but those were destroyed in the 1963 earthquake.
( Reproduced with permission from Macedonia: The Bradt Travel Guide, copyright c 2004, Thammy Evans. www.bradtguides.com )
Mustafa Pasha Mosque
The mosque was built in 1492 on the orders of Mustafa Pasha whilst he has vizier of Skopje. This is one of the most beautiful buildings dating from the Ottoman Empire. Mustafa Pasha’s mausoleum and the sarcophagus of his daughter Umy are placed in the grounds of the mosque.
Sultan Murat Mosque
Sultan Murat II, the father of Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror, built this mosque in 1436 as his patrimony. Architectural research has shown that the mosque was built on the basis of a church.