Kavadarci is a town in the Tikves Valley, located in the central part of Macedonia. It lies at an altitude of 280m above sea level, on both sides of the river Luda (Crazy) Mara. The town is 100km away from Skopje and has 28,300 inhabitants. The first time that the town was recorded under the name of Kavadarci was in the first half of the 19th century. In 1857, Kavadarci had some 2,000 inhabitants and was part of the Bitola Pashaluk (a pasha-ruled district). At the time, it had some fine residences of the bey and several mosques with tall minarets.